Friday 23 September 2016

Holy Crap

I participate in a support forum for people with family member's who have personality disorders.  Tonight I saw a girl ask if she was becoming abusive because she was standing up to her mom.  The answer seemed obvious to me, after reading what she is going through - absolutely not.  But while posting a response, I realized that if I were to ever open up the door to my mom again, any role I would play in any fight we had going forward, I would view differently now.  I have come to realize over the last year or so how grateful I am that I was able to fight for myself (despite so often wishing I could just let it all roll off) because it kept me from letting her convince me that I am not enough, that I am not worthy of love.  Fighting was a survival mechanism.

But now that I got away from her, I can see that fighting was never going to end it.  So now, if I go back, it's on me.  I can't justify one more fight.  I know better now.  I wish I had known it earlier.  But I know it now.   Fighting can no longer be a survival mechanism.  Fighting is what you do to survive an encounter, not a relationship for decades.

And now I have the answer to that question that I had asked my counsellor all those months ago.  What was my role in the dysfunction?  My role was defence and self preservation back then.  It was all I knew and I had no idea how to untangle myself from that relationship so that I wouldn't have to fight.  But now, if I were to engage in any more fighting, I would be responsible for any hurt I caused by defending myself.  Because it is now my responsibility to stay away from a flame that I know will burn me, rather than keep going in for more and then feeling justified in what I need to do to protect myself.

Holy crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment