Saturday 30 September 2017

Leaving These Things Behind

The summer of rental property cleanup has finally come to an end.  The relief is sweet.  I feel like this is the day I want to leave these things behind.  I don't want to hold onto any of it.  It's over.  And with it, I want to leave behind the meeting with my mom.  The neighbour who yelled.  The night the dog barked for hours.  The card in the mailbox.  I have been taking each of these things and putting them in a backpack and hauling them around.  Oh look, there's something to feel mad about, I should stop and pick it up.

Yesterday when I got to Lipton for my last day of cleaning, the garbage I had put out back the day before had been dumped, spread across the back lane and then been peed on.  I got this strange feeling that it was the tenant who left me with this mess who had come and done it and I could almost climb into the moment he did it.  What I felt was pity for him, because he knew that he wasn't peeing on my stuff.  He was peeing on his own life.  Sure, I had to clean it up, but then I got to leave it behind.  He marked it.  His garbage.  His life.  He went to the dump with it.  His DNA, claiming his failures.  I put gloves on, cleaned it up, had it hauled away and I walked away.  The back lane looked better than before he trashed it.  The last of him was gone from my life and he was his own responsibility again.

I changed my clothes, closed the door and drove away.  I went to Starbucks, ordered a tea and began the next part of my life.  I took out my iPad and readied myself.  When it was time to get Ivy, we went to the park and Jen and I sat and talked while Ivy and Sammy played.  Ivy and I went to the Keg and ate on the patio.  I came home and slept deep and peacefully.  I woke up and laughed out loud at the beauty of it being over.

And so it is, my road to no contact has been walked.  It's time to travel a new road.  Good bye, old blog.  Thank you ♡


2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    My name is Abby and I have related to your story immensely, pretty much going through the same exact thing. I read your whole journal, feeling validated and some healing. If you don’t mind me asking, how has your journey of no contact been going? Thanks, hope you’re doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a man that helped me get my ex back and restore my relationship life. I'm sure he can help you too. contact him on whatsapp +2348107558903 or email Perrycasted@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete